Protecting Your Home from Fire
It only takes a matter of minutes for a home to be completely ravaged and destroyed by
fire, but most home fires can be prevented. It all starts be being aware that the danger
exists, and then taking the necessary steps to safeguard against fire in your home. In
many cases, you don’t have to lose your home and possessions to fire, if you think
ahead and take action now. Even though you likely have protection against fire with your
homeowner’s insurance coverage, that money can’t replace your memories, your
photographs, and other memorabilia you may have.
Candles are very popular nowadays, to add that extra romantic feel to a home, or even
for fragrance. While candles are beautiful when lit, they can pose a real threat to your
home, particularly if left unattended. If you have candles in your home, you should make
certain that you blow them out whenever you leave the room, even if only for a few
minutes. In the amount of time it takes you to go answer the door, your home could
catch on fire thanks to an unattended candle. Never place candles near anything that
could catch on fire, such as curtains, furniture, clothing, papers, etc. Even if your candle
is placed in a heavy glass holder, it could still get hot enough to break the glass, creating
a very real fire hazard.
When you use appliances, such as toasters, coffee makers, waffle irons, etc., make
certain that you immediately unplug them when you are finished. Never leave them
plugged up, as this could definitely cause a fire in the right circumstances. Even if you
turn the power off of the item, it still isn’t safe until it is unplugged from the power source.
Remember that these items get very hot, and if placed next to any kind of flammable
material, could also be a potential fire hazard.
You should check all of your power cords at least once every three months, and maybe
even more often if you have pets or small children. Frayed cords, either from frequent
use, age, or mistreatment, could very easily cause a fire to occur in your home, so it is
important not to overlook this task.
If you have children at home, you should teach them about the dangers or fire, and what
to do in case a fire did occur. Talk to them about how matches, lighters, etc., could
cause potential fires, and why they should never play with these items. If your children
are home alone, they shouldn’t try to cook their own food, opting instead to eat foods
that come straight from the cabinet or refrigerator instead, as cooking could also cause a
potential fire. If you aren’t sure that your children can obey these rules, then they should
not be left home alone.
Make certain that you have working alarms and extinguishers located throughout your
home. Test them on a regular basis to make certain they are in good repair. Teach your
children and everyone in your home how and when to use an extinguisher, and have
them checked frequently as well, according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.